TEACHERS at Darton High continued to strike this week in a dispute with school management over pay.

A third of the 60 teachers joined the NUT's three-day walkout on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, disrupting classes for hundreds of pupils.

Only two or three year groups were in school for lessons on each day with the rest having the day off. The union said teachers were forced into taking further action after headteacher Simon Hill refused to honour a national pay agreement made in 2006.

It was reached following a dispute over staffing restructure and significant pay loss for some teachers taking on additional responsibilities.

Pete Bevis, the union's Barnsley branch secretary, said: "There is no agreement at the moment because it has been removed by management and LEA representatives. "Now that has gone we are fighting to avoid more pay losses for our members."

Mr Bevis told the Chronicle no offer had been made by management to replace the 2006 agreement. He added:"If something does happen, we'll make ourselves available for discussions. The last thing teachers want to do is damage the prospects of children at the school, but it seems management is prepared to sit the situation out to the detriment of pupils' education."

* The NUT will meet with school management and LEA today to discuss strike action planned for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of next week. If strikes do go ahead only two or three year groups will be taught each day. On Tuesday, March 4, Years 7 and 11 will be in school and Year 9 are in at lunchtime to sit a mock SAT exam; on Wednesday, March 6, Years 10 and 11 are in class and Year 9 will sit a mock SAT exam and on Thursday, March 6, Years 8 and 9 will be taught.