BRAZEN fly-tippers who dump waste at a local wind farm have been warned they will be caught out thanks to the introduction of new robotised security.
Late last year, fly-tippers smashed through a gate before unloading their rubbish at EDF’s Park Spring Wind Farm in Great Houghton.
It resulted in the site being probed by owners EDF and the council - and new robot security guards have since been installed to act as a deterrent.
All-in-one security units that provide 360-degree surveillance with advanced detection technology, designed for protecting temporary or remote sites, are in situ.
It integrates cameras, motion sensors and remote monitoring to deliver real-time security without the need for on-site personnel.
When intruders attempt to go on to the land, robots will also sound out a message alerting them that they are being filmed.
Coun Kevin Osborne, who represents the Darfield ward, told the Chronicle that the new robot security guards are a welcome addition - and added that they, and the council, have secured information from the large-scale tipped waste in a bid to secure a conviction.
He said: “I wish to join our community in expressing outrage and condemnation regarding the recent large-scale fly-tipping incident at Park Spring Wind Farm.
“The individuals responsible for this environmental crime may have thought they were clever by setting the waste alight, but I have some news for them - their actions have not gone unnoticed.
“Barnsley Council’s specialist team have obtained ID evidence from the waste, and investigations are currently ongoing.
“The EDF robotised security guards, who are purposely highly visible, are also believed to have captured video evidence of the incident.
“With such advanced technology at our disposal, justice will be arriving sooner than later.
“Those who choose to commit environmental crimes of this nature will be held accountable for their actions.”
The mountain of waste recently dumped at the site - estimated to be more than seven feet in height and about a ton in weight - was subsequently set alight earlier this week.
But it’s believed that those responsible will be found due to the new robots - and the council’s team swooping in to collect evidence before it was too late.
A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue told the Chronicle that crews tackled the deliberate blaze for over two hours.
They added: “Crews were called at 2.08pm on Monday to reports of a fire on Park Spring Road.
“On arrival firefighters discovered a large pile of refuge alight and used one hose reel to extinguish the flames.
“Crews left the scene at 4.35pm.
“The fire is believed to have been started deliberately.”