DAVID McGoldrick says he would like to stay at Barnsley next season but is yet to speak to anyone at the club about a new contract.
The striker, 38, is the Reds’ top-scorer with 18 goals in all competitions so says it would be ‘daft’ to call time on his career which he wants to take into a 23rd professional season.
He would like that be at Oakwell under the management of close friend Conor Hourihane who signed him on a one-year deal last summer.
McGoldrick told the Chronicle: “I love being part of it here - the players and staff, the fans have gravitated to me in the last three or four months, singing my name, and you don’t get that everywhere.
“But it’s out of my hands. Nothing has come to the table. I think they are just waiting for the next couple of weeks to know the full situation of the club and I will be waiting like everyone else to find out what’s happening.
“I am sure I will hear something before the end of the season.
“The club has a model in terms of what they want to do. I haven’t even spoken to Conor, he’s focused on getting results which is bigger than the David McGoldrick conversation.”
McGoldrick and Tom Bradshaw have been the only senior strikers since January. He played eight consecutive games without missing a minute, during a busy schedule with several midweek matches, which Hourihane called ‘obscene’.
McGoldrick has now picked up a hamstring problem, missing both games this week, but is hoping to be fit for Saturday’s game with Bradford.
McGoldrick told the Chronicle: “Probably science-wise it hasn’t been great for me to play every game. But if I came off, I would have the face on because I love being out there. If I get brought off on 80 minutes, that’s when the game opens up and you get chances. It is what I is. I wouldn’t be out there If I couldn’t do it.
“The last couple of games, I might have been not at my best. I was tired but you would have to drag me off the pitch. I got injured against Plymouth and maybe I should have gone down then come off. But I was running on adrenaline then, that night, I realised I had a little injury. You never know when your last game is going to be.”
McGoldrick is hoping to reach the 20-goal mark for the second time in his career this season, having moved up a division from Notts County last season.
“I got 17 in League Two last year. So to get a similar amount in League One proves, like I’ve said before, I could still score in most leagues - maybe not the top leagues. I still have finishing instincts. I just want to have a good off-season and go again.”
Barnsley are set for a mid-table finish but, with the young talent in the squad, McGoldrick sees potential for a higher finish next season.
“There are really good players here. Sometimes a tough season is so much better than a better season for young lads. Some have had games where they have missed passes, given the ball away and the fans have not been great with a few jeers but that steadies them up.
“They have a bee in their bonnet, come in the next day to train and improve.
“Block out the noise that was in the press the other week, they can do really well next season. But there will have to some good recruitment in the summer because a lot of players are out of contract.”
Hourihane has faced criticism from some fans this season. McGoldrick said: “He couldn’t get a more difficult season.
“I am his mate, he doesn’t tell me everything but he tells me a few things.
“He’s had to put up with a lot – staff leaving, players leaving, not getting what he wants in terms of recruitment.
“He’s been put into the fire. It’s not his fault or the club’s fault, just things gone off. No doubt he will have a successful career as a manager – his will, the way he wants to play, his passion, he loves the club.
“It hurts him as much as it hurts fans.
“I have no doubt he’s the right man. He’s improving young players. It’s not easy.
“They love him and respect him.
“That’s the model the club has.
“Conor work hours to improve Reyes and in January there are bids for him. But you understand the fans’ situation.”
On McGoldrick’s future, Hourihane added: “I think he's done incredibly well. “People are very well aware of our relationship as friends more than anything else.
“He's been unbelievable for me over the course of the season when he hasn't played just as much as when he has played in terms of different scenarios behind the scenes and managing the group and managing the dressing room. And so he's been key really.
“Moving forward, would I like to have him in the dressing room again? Absolutely.
“And I think, look, he's done more than enough to gain that.
“I know there was a time in the season potentially he was like, do I want to keep going or whatever? I'd be a big advocate for him to keep going because what he's given this season, not just over these last couple of months, has been incredible.
“The talks are ongoing regarding all out-of-contract players. You know, Didzy obviously would be a hot topic.”