THREE Barnsley players accused of a racist assault have been cleared of wrongdoing, according to an official club statement.
Police have told the club they will take no action against Paul Reid, Brian Howard and Marc Richards.
The trio had been accused of racially assaulting an Asian taxi driver after a night out in Sheffield on March 7. They were arrested and released on bail but have now been told the matter will not be followed up.
The football club has also carried out an investigation clearing the players. Manager Simon Davey said: "After an internal investigation the club found all three players had done no wrong and this was confirmed when the police formally dropped the matter without action.
"South Yorkshire Police have confirmed that, following their enquiries, no charges will be brought against any player. All three have been released from police bail without any further action.
"The players have had the complete backing of Barnsley Football Club throughout and remain focused on getting the points needed to keep the team in the Championship this season starting with Saturday's game against Derby County at Oakwell".
A police spokesman said: "Three men aged in their mid-20s, two from the Barnsley area and one from Wakefield, who were arrested in connection with an alleged racial incident which apparently occurred on March 7, have been released from police bail without charge."