A GROUP of keen footballers who have been playing together for the last 20 years have been told they will no longer be able to meet at their usual time by Barnsley College.
Dozens of locals - whose ages range from 12 to 70 - meet every Thursday at 7.30pm at Barnsley College’s Honeywell Sports Campus and they’ve been doing so for the last 15 years.
The group is led by England walking footballer Alan Davies and they estimate they’ve spent around £20,000 with the college renting out the pictures.
However, they were told earlier this year that they wouldn’t be able to use the pitches from next Thursday - with Barnsley Women’s FC set to take the space instead.
Tom Sharpe, another member of the group, told the Chronicle that they have been able to fight similar issues in previous years - but this time the changes look set to come into place.
He said: “The regular Thursday night game of football I play at the Honeywell Sports Campus, Barnsley College - with an extremely diverse make-up centred around a core squad that has been playing at the venue for 15 years, and together for far longer - is coming under threat.
“For a third year in a row Barnsley College has stated its intention to cancel our regular 7.30pm Thursday night booking to make way for Barnsley Women’s FC.
“The regular football session, scheduled for every week of the year apart from the usual Christmas closure, is formed by a gathering of players aged 12 to over 70 and is led by England walking footballer Alan Davies.
“Within our group we have players of all abilities, various races and nationalities and some with mental health issues.
“Over the years, we estimate, we have paid around £20,000 in pitch fees to the college.”
Tom said he has no issue with the women’s team training on the pitch - but says they are now struggling to find an alternative venue.
He added: “We understand that there is a shortage of all weather pitches for the women to train on but we will face the same issue if we are forced out of Barnsley College’s facilities along with the very real possibility of having to fold.
“This would be a travesty after well over two decades of playing together, and with a new crop of young players now enjoying their football with us.
“Three long-standing players’ sons now play with us - a second generation of the Thursday night squad - including my own and this is not something we’d be able to experience in a different, less diverse football game.
“What we have feels unique, is hugely valued and we don’t want to let it go.”
Steve Maddock, the owner of the women’s team, said: “We’re the only women’s football club in this town playing at this level.
“We’re heavily involved with the college.
“If we’re to improve women’s football in Barnsley then we need this space.
“We’re very grateful to the college for all the work they’re doing but we do sympathise with the group.”
A spokesperson for Barnsley College told the Chronicle that they are committed to working with the group to find alternative placements.
They added: “Barnsley College regularly assesses all sports pitch bookings in preparation for the next academic year, to balance student, community, and partnership needs.
“This includes a strategic alliance between Barnsley College’s Girls’ Football Team and Barnsley Women’s Football Club, supporting progression pathways for young women into higher levels of education and sport.
“As part of this assessment, a number of groups were contacted and offered alternative time slots to support future arrangements.
“Notice was given in April regarding changes coming into effect from August.
“Barnsley College remains committed to supporting local communities wherever possible.
“David Akeroyd, principal and CEO of Barnsley College, is very happy to continue working with Mr Davies to explore what alternative slots may be available going forward.”