HEROIC bar staff who sprang into action when a young stabbing victim with blood-stained clothes sought emergency help have been praised for their efforts.

The incident, which unfolded in the town centre on Saturday at about 1.40pm, resulted in a 17-year-old boy and a 42-year-old man sustaining ‘potentially life-threatening’ wounds.

The youngster stumbled towards The Garrison, on Hanson Street, near to where the daylight stabbing is believed to have occurred.

Given the pub was busy with Barnsley Football Club supporters before the Reds’ South Yorkshire derby clash with Rotherham United, shocked onlookers watched on in horror as the youngster sought help.

Bar staff and doormen - Liam Hardcastle and Liam Baker - held the stricken teenager’s hand and applied first aid to a chest wound, according to The Garrison’s owner Clare Gainey.

“At about 1.40pm on Saturday a young male approached our doors with blood-stained clothes,” she told the Chronicle.

“One of our door staff approached him and asked if he was okay.

“He said he was being chased and he thought he had been stabbed.

articlempu1

“We examined him and found a stab wound and immediately rang an ambulance.

“Our head doorman checked the lad over and started first aid and started applying pressure to his chest.

“A customer ran into the bar and shouted for me to help.

articlempu2

“I grabbed a first aid bag and ran outside.

“Between the three of us, we kept talking to him, reassuring him and holding his hand.

“The ambulance arrived quickly and took him away and we’ve had a message from his parent to thank us.”

articlempu3

South Yorkshire Police set up three scenes in the town centre on Regent Street, Hanson Street and Mandela Gardens - which led to the recovery of a knife - while two Yorkshire Air Ambulance helicopters landed.

Officers said the pair, who knew each other, sustained stab wounds inside a property on Regent Street and both were subsequently arrested in hospital on suspicion of attempted murder.

Detective Inspector Stuart Boldero said: “We understand that this incident will have caused some concern within the local community.

“Our investigation is progressing into the circumstances surrounding this, and we know that this was an isolated incident.

“Our officers will still be in the area in the coming days.

“If you do have any concerns, please do stop and speak to them, they are there to listen and help where the can.”

Anyone with information can pass it on to the authorities online or by calling 101, quoting incident number 479 of October 25, 2025.