POLICE had to escort council workers who were delivering sandbags to flood victims to prevent other householders 'scavenging' them.
The council’s head of communications Bob Williams says officers were there to ensure sandbags were taken by those who needed them most and to help vans get through the congested roads.
Insp Paula McMullan confirmed police had been drafted in to help and says everything possible is being done to put the town on standby for the potential of more flooding tomorrow and Sunday.
The Met Office has issued a severe weather warning of further destruction if the predicted heavy rainfall comes because the ground is saturated.
The council has been holding regular crisis meetings since the first floods two weeks ago and its emergency response team has plans in place should the storms strike again.
Staff have been put on alert for salvage duties and some non-vital services, such as grass cutting, have been suspended so workers can be deployed elsewhere.
Monday’s deluge came just nine days after Barnsley suffered its worst floods since 1947. Many householders were still cleaning up when they were swamped again.
Emergency services were stretched to the limits as fire-fighters, police and paramedics battled through appalling conditions.
In one dramatic rescue a young couple swept away by the Dearne ended up clinging to a tree near the Mill of the Black Monks. An air sea rescue helicopter had to winch them to safety after six fire-fighters chest deep in the water were beaten back by the current.